Brain City: Research and science in Berlin
Berlin is an international brand that represents scientific excellence and cutting-edge research. Berlin attracts researchers at the top of a whole range of fields. There are seven public and 30 private universities of applied sciences, as well as a large number of other research institutions.
The Brain City project draws attention to outstanding achievements in science and research in Berlin. Get to know the scientific community and local researchers – we put you directly in touch with the who’s who of the research scene. Gain access to current research results and learn how to apply these in your business. Close contact with renowned researchers, scientific institutions and universities in Berlin specialising in different areas puts your finger on the pulse of the time. Brain City works together with well-known research institutions in order to benefit from their research and innovative capacity.
Valuable cooperation with Berlin’s universities and research institutions
Among other activities, Brain City Berlin cultivates close partnerships with the following research institutions and universities:
- Beuth University of Applied Sciences Berlin
- BSP Business School Berlin
- German Aerospace Center (DLR)
- ESMT Berlin / European School of Management and Technology
- FMP Berlin (Leibniz-Forschungsinstitut für Molekulare Pharmakologie)
- FOM University of Applied Sciences
- Free University of Berlin
- Humboldt University of Berlin
- HWR Berlin – Berlin School of Economics and Law
- SRH Hochschule Berlin
- Technical University of Berlin
- Berlin University of the Arts (UdK)
Brain City Ambassadors: Representatives of the scientific community
Berlin is home to scientists working in an array of different research fields. Brain City Ambassadors are accredited representatives from their respective research fields who want to promote Berlin as a centre for research.
Brain City Ambassadors work in the following research fields:
- Health and life sciences
- Photonic and microsystem technologies
- Transport and mobility
- Energy and the environment
- Economics, law and social sciences
- Information and communications technologies
- Materials and production engineering
- Mathematics and related applications
- Creative industries and culture
- Basic research in physics and chemistry
- Urban development and construction engineering
Profitable spin-offs: research-based startups
A close partnership between business and science in a place like Berlin can lead to profitable outcomes in the long-term. Startups often emerge directly from research institutions and universities that then successfully find a niche in the business community. One example is Inspirient GmbH – a startup incubated at the Free University Berlin to evaluate business data using AI. An example of a spin-off from the Humboldt University is CellDEG GmBH, a biotech company specialising in culture systems for microalgae.
Living and researching in Berlin
Many top scientists are moving to Berlin, because it’s an excellent place for researchers to work and live. The German capital has an excellent scientific network, resources, and expertise. It also offers excellent quality of life, cultural events as well as urban and rural leisure options.
>> Get to know more about research & science in Berlin on Brain City Berlin